With all the unicorn food talk lately, I decided to play with some veggie colors myself and make a delicious ruby red soup!
I’m sure you can guess which veggie gives that unBEETable, deep red color, right?!
Beets are one of those incredible vegetables that can turn many recipes into a beautiful red or pink color!
A few months ago I made hot pink burger buns with a little help from some beets! Full recipe post (here).
My mother used to make my sisters and I red velvet cupcakes when we were kids using beets as the secret ingredient to give it that color everyone knows and loves.
But today we’re talking soups – a ruby red rosemary soup to be exact!
Dark red/purple vegetables and fruits contain pigments called anthocyanins, which are antioxidants that reduce inflammation. Several studies have shown that anthocyanin-rich foods can help prevent the risk of cognitive decline, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
To reap the benefits of these powerful compounds, eat red cabbage, tomatoes, strawberries, eggplant, cherries, acai berries, blackberries, cranberries, and of course…beets!
This soup is soup(er) easy to make. Let me know how you like it!
If you have another recipe with beets hidden in it, I’d love to know!
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red beet, chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup Siggi's Plain 0% Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- OPTIONAL: pumpkin seeds & nutritional yeast for garnish
- Wash and chop carrots and beets
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in pot then add onion and sauté
- Once onions are translucent, add carrots and beet and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Wash and drain lentils then add herbs, lentils and vegetable broth to onion mix and bring to a boil. After a few minutes lower heat, cover pot and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Pour everything from the pot into a blender and add the siggi's yogurt in as well.
- Blend carefully.
- For an additional crunch, top with pumpkin seeds and garnish with nutritional yeast.